The Top Five Superbowl LI Commercials
1. Buick commercial: in this comical commercial, two dads are chatting at their son’s football game when a new Buick pulls up. One man says to the other, “If that’s a Buick, then my son’s Cam Newton.” At this moment his son transforms into Cam Newton [ the Quarterback for the Panthers] and he throws a touchdown to win the peewee football game.
2. Snickers commercial: This was the first ever live Super Bowl commercial. In this Western themed commercial starring Adam Driver, it shows what hunger does to you. Since he had to take a snack break, he threw the timing of the whole commercial off. “You ruin live Super Bowl commercials when you’re hungry.”
3. Febreze commercial: “Is your bathroom ready?” Most sports fanatics tend to hold it until halftime. This light hearted and charming little commercial left you with a smile when you ran to the bathroom during Lady Gaga’s halftime performance.
4. T-Mobile: T-Mobile had a few different commercials that aired this Super Bowl Sunday. In their third commercial of the night they aimed it directly at Verizon. In this commercial starring Kristen Schaal, they spun off the popular story of “50 Shades of Grey”. The tagline to this commercial was “Wireless pain is fine… if you’re into that sort of thing.” Unfortunately, this commercial triggered a strange Twitter fight between the two companies.
5. Bai Commercial: In this quick clip starring Justin Timberlake and Christopher Walken, they sit practically in silence after Walken starts quoting the popular song by NSYNC” called “Bye Bye Bye”. The music starts playing, and now there is no question as to how to pronounce the name of the product.
There were many more enjoyable commercials, however, the lack of comedy in this year’s commercials was unsettling. In years past, commercials could always make one laugh, or put a smile on one’s face. Perhaps next year they will get back on the comedic track.